11.11.2014

I'm a domestic Pinterest diva!

One part of my vow when we got married is that I would learn to cook and I meant it. I wasn't a fabulous cook when Beardy and I first met, but I would try to cook things...
But I burn water.
I even made him eat burnt chicken tenders once. Even his brother choked it down. (Gotta love that kid. Thank you for serving our country, Taylor, btw. <3)

But since the wedding and not having a full time job, I have been planning our meals weekly and trying new recipes. These are a few I've done in the past few weeks.

I was going to blog about each, but apparently I forget to take pictures when I'm cooking.

//Crock Pot Stove Top Chicken
This one was surprisingly really good. Beardy loved the cheesy chicken and it was a "stick to your ribs" type of meal. He wants me to make it again. Word of warning, it's not the healthiest thing ever, but if you're looking for a hearty home cooked kind of meal, this is it. And it's easy. Which is always a plus.
Scale: 5 out of 5 Beards

//Crock Pot Pumpkin Chili
He was apprehensive to trying this one, but Beardy did like it. You really couldn't taste the pumpkin and it was really healthy. The depth of flavor in this one was amazing, I would try to get smoked paprika next time.
Scale: 4 out of 5 Beards

//Stuffed Pepper Soup
He told me that he really enjoyed this meal too. It was really easy to make and was super flavorful and we probably have leftovers that will last until Christmas.
Scale: 4 out of 5 Beards

//Chinese Night: Panda Express Chow Mein and Beijing Beef
This was a fail in my mind, but Beardy said it tasted amazing. We don't have any Panda Expresses around us...and the closest is like, Milwaukee and I was craving their Chow Mein (which I think is Lo Mein, but whatevs) and their Beijing Beef. I had it when I was visiting friends and it was SO good. I wanted to see if I could recreate it. The recipe calls for the Yaki-Soba noodles, but the ones I found were flat, not round like the picture and I think if I would have had round noodles, the chow mein would have had better flavor. It was kind of mushy. The Beijing Beef was a miss, too. You had to coat the meat in corn starch and then fry it so it would get crispy, but I wasn't happy with how it came out either. It wasn't crispy enough for my liking. But I also pan fried it in coconut oil so that could have been my fault. Beardy took this for lunch yesterday and said it tasted amazing cold.
Scale: 5 out of 5 Beards
          3 out of 5 Beautys...just because I don't like how it was mushy...and it didn't taste like Panda at all. 

Beardy keeps telling me my cooking is improving so points for me! I don't know what I would do without Pinterest, actually. Use real cooking books? Do you have any recipes you tried from Pinterest that were successes? Which ones?

3 comments:

  1. Pinterest is like, my LIFE for recipes. I meal plan weekly (I try to do a few weeks at a time, actually) and Pinterest helps so much. Look at my "Favorite Recipes" board for the best things I've found and made. I really have made each of them! http://www.pinterest.com/em219/favorite-recipes/

    The best compliment is when I hear "Oh yeah, you can make this again." Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember those chicken tenders too... those all sound great by the way too. annnnd I have a baked chicken Alfredo dish that if you want to try out, I will be more than happy to send your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girlfriend, you really are a domestic pinterest diva!! Well done on all of these!!

    ReplyDelete