1.10.2014

Advice for shopping at David's Bridal. (Dress shopping part 1)

Dresses everywhere. I probably tried on at least 30 dresses that day.
 I have to admit...I was nervous about going to my first bridal store.
The first one we attended was David's Bridal.
I had heard horror stories about this place so I was less than thrilled going in.
But it actually turned out to be a great experience.
Going in, I wanted to try on a dress that had pockets. It looked comfortable and was very cheap. Sadly when I tried on the dress, my sister chimed in with "you look pregnant" so I immediately said "NO" to that one.
My checklist for the dress I was looking for had to be:
comfortable
possibly pockets
sweetheart neckline
not make me look fat
...did I mention comfortable?
Beardy's BFF's wifey just had gotten married last September and all I can remember her saying is that she wanted to get out of the dress. She was so uncomfortable in it and I vowed that I wouldn't get a dress I wasn't able to breathe in.

These are not all of the dresses I tried on, just a select few.
This was one of the first picked:
I loved the polka dot fabric it was made out of. It reminded me of Miss Scissors dress from WeddingBee back in 2009ish.
 But it clearly gave me no shape.

This was the second I tried on:
I didn't like this one either. I felt like Belle from Beauty and the Beast, you know the yellow dress she wore? Sooo poofy.

Then this dress was chosen from the consultant. It was a light pink color and had pockets. It wasn't bad, I just wasn't feeling it...
It was too thick of material...especially for an August wedding.
It reminded me of Jessica Biel's dress from her wedding to Justin Timberlake. *sigh*
The last dress I tried on was this one. I almost rang the bell too (because of peer pressure) but I didn't.
ANNNND turns out glad I didn't. This was the exact dress Beardy's BFF's wife wore for her wedding. The dress she couldn't breathe in.
All in all it was a good experience. I didn't have to share my consultant with anyone which I thought was really nice. I had heard that at DB you had to share consultants when you came on a busy day (which we did, a Saturday) and my consultant was not pushy, which really made it less stressful.
But here's some tips when it comes to going to a place like David's Bridal:
  1. Make a wedding e-mail. David's Bridal is notorious for selling your information. I get e-mails sent from so many different places now, I am glad I didn't give them my real e-mail.
  2. Bring water. You would think trying on dresses wouldn't be a lot of work, but it is. I was so dehydrated and so tired after our 3 (!!) hour appointment. (Usually the appointments last an hour tops, obviously my consultant was having too much fun.)
  3. Have an idea of what you are looking for. I went to the website and wrote down every single one of the style numbers I wanted to try on. It went much more smoothly than if they would have brought me the dresses that they thought I'd like.
  4. Stick to your guns. Don't let anyone talk you into a dress. I was so glad that I said 'no' and kept saying it because I would have ended up with a dress I actually hate looking at now. I feel like I look chubby.
  5. Have fun. I really forgot to have fun that day. I got really stressed out by my sister and stressed out about trying to make everyone happy. You have to remember it's YOU getting married and it's YOUR wedding.
The dress I went with isn't even from David's. I found it at a local Wedding store. So what do you think I went with? I definitely surprised myself with my decision.
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket




1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you took pictures, I'm sad i didnt take a single one while in the dress trying on process and I tried on a TON

    ReplyDelete