7.25.2012

YouTube Obsession: Sarah from A High Maintenance Wife!

I have recently became obsessed with a new up and coming guru on YouTube. Sarah Taylor is the woman behind A High Maintenance Wife and she is purely fabulous. Her style, makeup and advice is on point.
She tells it like it is and that's why I started watching her. That and she is gorge.



YouTube Related: 
Chanel and Chocolate Cake: What inspired you to make a YouTube channel?
Sarah Taylor:  Honestly?  I'm not 19 and Revlon Colorstay breaks me out.  I've been an active YouTube watcher for probably 2 years now but no one was talking about the products I loved.  There were virtually no tutorials with high-end foundations besides MUFE HD and I don't like that all that much.  So, I realized I have a niche that isn't currently filled and frankly I think people are scared to talk about high-end products because we get eviscerated in the comments for it.  Look, I'm a grown-ass woman who likes nice things and pays for them herself.  People really get upset when you feature high-end things because they can't afford it.  The problem on my end is, there are so many drugstore tutorials and reviews and barely any Chanel.  I love Chanel.  Why is that a bad thing?

CC: Who are your favorite YouTubers?
ST: I really love Kandee Johnson.  She was the first person I ever subscribed to.  I think she's amazingly talented and I have learned so much from her.  The other thing is she gets a lot of flack and I think reading her comments made me kind of prepare for the haters.  I really love Zoella and SprinkleofGlitter.  I'm drawn to personalities.  I like people who can make fun of themselves. People who aren't perfect and don't pretend to be but aren't "fake humble" either.  Does that make sense?

CC: How do you come up with ideas for your channel?
ST: Everywhere.  I think of looks that I want to see, maybe off Pinterest or magazines.  I think of products I'd like to try.  I think of videos I'd want to watch.  I also shamelessly ask my viewers to give me suggestions.  Unfortunately for me, I have a very small channel so I get like, 2 suggestions.  A for effort, though.

her lashes are OOC.
Makeup Related:
CC: What 5 holy grail products that you use?
ST:a- Chanel Mat Lumiere foundation.
  b- Maybelline twin pencils in blonde (brows)
  c- Maybelline Colossal Mascara in Waterproof Glam Black
  d- Kat Von D Tattoo liner in Trooper
  e- lip balm

CC: What is your favorite makeup brand?
ST: I really love Chanel.  I think they make beautiful products and I love that they replace what they take.  So many companies are responsible for deforestation and environmental impact.  Chanel actually has invested in the lavender fields in France and without Chanel, they'd be almost gone.  But, you never hear about that because they never do their charitable press.  I really respect companies that do good but don't promote it.  I think it shows humility.  2nd favorite is probably Urban Decay.  They're really animal-friendly and their pigments are amazing.

CC: Is there a beauty tip that was passed down to you? Or any tips you want to share with us?
ST: Both of my parents emphasized maintenance.  I did pageants and stuff as a kid (I'm Southern, it's normal) so makeup and hairspray and curling irons were always around.  My mom looks like a brown-eyed Doris Day and has always been beautiful so I've looked up to her a lot.  I remember she had this drawer in her vanity that was filled with nothing but lipsticks and lipliners.  To this day, when I think of my mom, I think of a few things and one is the plum lipliner she wears.  And the old-school Estee Lauder lipsticks.  Tresor perfume.  Hot rollers.  My dad is a traditional Southern gentleman and he really appreciates women who take care of themselves.  I never knew being high maintenance was a bad thing until I moved near Philadelphia because where I lived, everyone was done up.  Every Sunday, even if you didn't go to church, you wore a dress out, you had your powder, lipstick and mascara on.  It was always a good thing for me.  I definitely don't think I'm high maintenance in a bad way.  I'm a good person, I help people, I work hard.  I just want to keep myself happy and make my husband proud.  That mentality was definitely passed down to me.  If I ever have kids, I'll pass it down to them.  I realize the older I get, how Southern i really am.  I think I need to move back soon!

Tips for readers:  In all seriousness, you need to love yourself.  Get yourself to where you want to be and then keep getting better.  You'll be an amazing person and you'll attract amazing people. Always be appreciative and grateful. Never keep anything you don't want and someone else can use.  Be selfish with your heart.  Give it only to people who deserve it.  Find something everyday that makes you happy and grateful.  I really think if you're beautiful on the inside, it shows through.  Love something, have a hobby.  Take pride in yourself but never be an asshole.  Challenge those around you to be better too.  They may hate you for a minute and they'll be grateful forever. 

CC: Who is your makeup/fashion inspiration?
ST: Makeup is Audrey Hepburn and Brigitte Bardot.  I love that liner and lashes look.  I've worn it since I was 12.  Fashion, I take from everywhere.  I gravitate more towards structural clothing because I'm curvy and boho makes me look pregnant. 

CC: You're stuck on a desert island. What one thing do you need with you?
ST: oh dear god. One thing?  water.

CC: What is a guilty pleasure you have?
ST: Bravo.  I could watch Bethenny and those housewives forever.  My husband HATES them so I watch it when he's not home.

Sarah and her handsome hubs!

CC: I just got done doing What's in my Bag posts, soo name 5 things in your purse right now.
ST: Coach wallet
      a metabolic thermogenic
    a protein bar
  makeup bag
tazer

I'm left handed.

I absolutely hate when people wear shoes in the house.  Don't trek god-knows-what into my home!

A poorly made cappuccino actually ruins my day.  I know that sounds stupid, but never underestimate the power of good foam.

I knew I wanted to do makeup when I saw Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time.  I wanted to make women feel as beautiful as Holly Golightly.

I am an underwear snob.  Hanky Pankys or bust.  I also think sexy undies are a requirement when you get married.  Nothing says "I've given up" like granny panties. 

I've been a vegetarian for over half of my life.

I have 6 tattoos with plans for at least 2 more.

My husband and I met and married within 8 months.  When you know, you know. 

Lazy Sundays are law in my household.  My husband gets yelled at whenever he books anything on a Sunday.  I sleep in, I lay around.  Generally, do whatever I want.  When you get up at 430a on weekdays, you'll make it law too.

My furry princess, Adelaide, is my pride and joy.  She goes everywhere with me, gets anything she wants and constantly keeps me happy and smiling.  I think if everyone had something or someone that was their Adelaide, the world would be a better place.



Find Sarah on Twitter // Facebook

Let's get Sarah more followers! She so deserves it. 

3 comments:

  1. Great interview! Loved it! Stopping by from the GFC blog hop and am now your newest follower:) Hope you can come check out Crazy Mama Drama !
    http://crazy-mama-drama.blogspot.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Crazy-Mama-Drama/259491484156846

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is rather beautiful. I shall have to check out her YouTube channel. I'll definitely follow. :)

    I am your newest GFC follower from the blog hop, if you have a moment and would like to, you can visit me here The Things We Find Inside

    Thank you so much,
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good! I am much like her, watching youtube, so want to do youtube, but to shy.
    Creds to her!
    Followed you both.

    thebookness.com

    ReplyDelete